Sandbar has long standing, trusted relationships with some of Australia’s leading property investors, fund managers and family offices.
Sandbar is interested in acquiring meaningful stakes in companies which have the following attributes.
- Sector is stable and not subject to cyclical fluctuations ie- we like a very high degree of confidence the industry we invest into will be larger 10 years from now than it is today!
- Business is profitable and growing
- Business has existing owners or managers looking for investors willing to work constructively alongside them to build wealth over the long term ie- we are not focussed on short term profits or an exit within a defined time period
- Approximate deal sizes of interest to Sandbar range from $5m to $50m in enterprise value
Our Key People
Barry Smorgon, OAM
Barry Smorgon, OAM, was a Director and Executive of Smorgon Consolidated Industries, one of the largest private companies in Australia, for over 20 years. Following that, in 1996 he aquired and became Executive Chairman of the Jalco Group of Companies – one of Australia’s largest contract manufacturing operations. Jalco manufactured a large range of products including personal care, industrial, cosmetic and plastic packing products. The majority of Jalco was sold in 2015, while Sandbar retained the food and wellness division which it renamed Tismor Health and Wellness.
He is currently the Executive Chairman of Tismor Health and Wellness, a contract manufacturing business with a focus on food and health related products, and also Chairman of Pack and Send Systems, a leading franchise business in the Australian supply chain and delivery space.
For many decades, Mr Smorgon has devoted substantial time and energy towards philanthropic and not for profit activities including having been Appeal Chairman of the Jewish Communal Appeal where he is a life Governor, and Chairman of AIJAC NSW. He is currently President of Maccabi Australia (one of the largest sporting organizations in Australia) . In June 2010, Mr Smorgon received a Medal of the Order of Australia in the Queen’s Birthday Honours for his service to the community and to business.
Darren Smorgon is Managing Director of Sandbar Investments. Previously, Darren had a 16 year career as a Director, member of the advisory board and partner at CHAMP Private Equity, one of Australia’s largest and longest established Private Equity firms.
At CHAMP he led the acquisition and portfolio management of companies including Study Group, LCR Group, Golding Contractors and oOh!media.
He is currently a Non-Executive Director and Chairman of the Remuneration Committee of ASX listed oOh!media, the Chairman of Hub Australia, a Non-Executive Director of Total Drain Cleaning and a Non-Executive Director of Medical Media. He is also on the advisory committee of the Social Ventures Australia social impact fund.
Some of Sandbar’s Private Equity investments include
Tismor Health & Wellness is a contract manufacturing company delivering quality Food and Wellness products to the market for more than 20 years.
PACK & SEND is Australia’s leading and most recognised parcel courier and freight delivery reseller.
Total Drain Cleaning – Total Drain Cleaning is a leading company within the NSW waste and water treatment industry.
Hub Australia – A leading, premium Australian co-working platform.
In The Press
Smorgon, Wingate buy into Hub (The Australian, December 2017)
Smorgon Investments, where the sone also rises (The Australian, April 2017).
Venture Capital with a Social Vision Pays Off (The Australian)
Big name investors hand ad startup Medical Channel $25m to buy rival (AFR, September 2016).
The Smorgon Way
The Smorgon Way has been documented to ensure there is no mystery as to the Smorgon values and management style. Our values are all about openness, honesty, group decision making, commitment and a drive for continuous improvement. Our way of doing things is characterised by energy, drive and a sense of urgency.
The following values are the cornerstone of “The Smorgon Way” and so our personal behaviour must reflect them:
- Two heads are better than one and therefore, key issues will involve consultation and discussion.
- Everyone has a right to be heard in a non threatening environment and there is an expectation that the truth will be told.
These key values are underpinned by the following:
- Our word is our bond. We will demonstrate a high level of personal integrity.
- We are committed to satisfying customer needs and we expect to grow and develop the business which in turn will increase shareholder value.
- There will be “No Surprises”.
- We will be results oriented by defining and measuring performance.
- Relationships with employees will be mutually beneficial based on equality, trust and a commitment to safety, individual development and well being.
- We will promote teamwork and show consistent leadership.
- We have a right to know how we are doing, and to be encouraged and supported to reach our potential.
- We encourage behaviour that reflects the pursuit of quality and continual improvement in all our activities.
- We will show respect for one another and for those with whom we deal.
- We will be pro-active corporate citizens.
To know more about Sandbar Investments, please contact our head office.
Level 4, 2 Grosvenor St
Bondi Junction, NSW 2022
For Enquiries Contact
Elizabeth Mangan, Office Manager, Suite 402, 2 Grosvenor St Bondi Junction
02 9389 4800
Get in touch with us
We would love to hear from you.